Now that I've removed Windows from my desktop computer at work, and installed Scientific Linux in its place (note: it was, Centos 7.2 with LVM partitions, but now it is Scientific Linux 7.1 with standard partitions), I decided I needed a partition that could be shared between the two distros for large user data.
For example, I have 12 Gigabytes in my Music directory, and a number of VirtualBox
hard disk images (at 20 to 30 Gigabytes each) that I would like to access from both OS's. So my plan is to create a new partition which I will mount on /media/share
on both Ubuntu and Scientific Linux. Then I'll make symbolic links from /home/[username]/Music
from each home directory.
Before I could create a new partition, I needed to shrink one of my existing partitions to free up space. Here is how the partitions looked when I started:
and here is what they looked like after shrinking /dev/sda3
, growing /dev/sda4
and inserting /dev/sda7
into the new space inside it:
I made the change by booting my computer from an Ubuntu 14.04 Live DVD and running GParted
. It took about 20 minutes to shrink my home partition, but it worked without incident.
The next step is to add a mount for the new /dev/sda7
partition. It's been several years since I played around with mounting partitions, but I still remembered that it involved editing the /etc/fstab
file and adding the device and the mount point. So I loaded my /etc/fstab
file and noticed something had changed since I last looked at it:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=4ae26245-fe59-40d2-a380-2c2de57b652b / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=5c4e86f6-1d94-4eab-9931-5d3aa29e1583 /home ext4 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=bba8f235-d8b0-4131-9a3e-ec286c3b3837 none swap sw 0 0
I was completely unfamiliar with UUID
, and had been expecting to see device names (like /dev/sda3
etc.) instead. I bit of searching led me to several links:
Running $ sudo blkid
gave me this:
/dev/sda1: UUID="b70d7272-e47f-426a-a979-5417bb2f7801" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda2: UUID="4ae26245-fe59-40d2-a380-2c2de57b652b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda3: UUID="5c4e86f6-1d94-4eab-9931-5d3aa29e1583" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="76f8dd02-3671-49ba-b75a-da6d8bb65b19" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="e7e58de9-a748-4500-b300-ae1ca10f2056" TYPE="xfs"
/dev/sda7: UUID="44244888-7000-49bf-8ac8-2c32e2f73eb5" TYPE="ext4"
which I used to add the following line to /etc/fstab:
UUID=44244888-7000-49bf-8ac8-2c32e2f73eb5 /media/share ext4 defaults
and then ran:
$ sudo mkdir /media/share
$ sudo mount -a
which mounted /dev/sda7
. Next I moved all my music files to /media/share/Music
, deleted the Music directory in my home directory, and replaced it with a symbolic link (note
: run from my user's home directory):
$ ln -s /media/share/Music Music
I started Rhythmbox
and it worked as if nothing had changed.
Rebooting into Scientific Linux, I added the same line to /etc/fstab
and ran the same mkdir
commands, then removed my still empty Music
directory, made the same sym link, and voila, I had access to all my music from Scientific Linux (after installing Rhythmbox, that is).
For VirtualBox VM sharing, things are a bit more complicated. Ubuntu makes installing VirtualBox trivial, since it is in the main repository, but on Ubuntu 14.04 version 4.3 is what you get. On Scientific Linux I installed version 5.0 using the instruction from an earlier post
Fearing there might be meta-data conflicts between the two versions, but feeling confident the virtual hard disk image files (.vdi
) could be shared between them without conflict (since I regularly copy these files back and forth between distros without problems), I did the following:
- On the Ubuntu side, I moved my entire VirtualBox VMs directory from my home directory to /media/share and sym linked to it as I had done with the Music directory.
- On the Scientific Linux side, I kept VirtualBox VMs in my home directory, using sym links only for the virtual disk image files. For example, from inside $HOME/VirtualBox VMs/Server1 I ran:
$ ln -s /media/share/VirtualBox\ VMs/Server1/Server1.vdi Server1.vdi
This worked nicely. Just for fun, I ran yum update on Server1 launched from VirtualBox 5.0 on Scientific Linux, then rebooted into Ubuntu 14.04 and relaunched Server1 from there, seeing changes I had made.
Finally, after noticing that VirtualBox-4.3 was available for Scientific Linux 7.1, I ran # yum remove VirtualBox-5.0
and then # yum install VirtualBox-4.3
, made the VirtualBox VMs
directory in my home directory a sym link to /media/share/VirtualBox VMs
and quickly added all the VMs back. Now even the VMs with the VirtualBox extensions installed (for full screen GUI and auto mouse capture) work on both OS's.