Thursday, January 26, 2017

Migrating from VirtualBox to KVM/Qemu

I've been using VirtualBox for years on my Ubuntu systems to test and use other operating systems on the host machine.  Since I am working with five of my students this year to help them prepare for the RHCSA exam, I've been learning to use KVM for virtualization instead. KVM with virt-manager has proven to be easier to use than VirtualBox, since I don't have to install any add-on video drivers to get screen resolutions changed, and it seems to run faster and with less resource overhead than VirtualBox.

First thing I did was install:
$ sudo apt-get install qemu-kvm libvirt-bin bridge-utils virt-manager
Then I added myself to the libvirtd group, so that I would have access:
$ sudo adduser [user] libvirtd
I converted my VirtualBox hard drive images to KVM images with:
$ qemu-img convert -f vdi oldImage.vdi -O qcow2 newImage.qcow
Here is a screenshot of Debian Jessie running on Ubuntu Yakety:


Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment