Thursday, April 23, 2009

When in Rome...

The XOs sent to El Salvador are still stuck in customs, and Douglas is at wits end as to what to do about it. Paco, Douglas and I have been meeting daily to find our way out of the mess. My only contribution has been to suggest a "Plan B": have UPS return the laptops and then have them shipped to Arlington, Virginia. They are small and light enough that we could then send them to our project in Chalate little by little with friends and family members as they travel back and forth to El Salvador. I'll check in with Douglas and Paco today and see if I should contact Adam Holt to propose this to him.

On a more encouraging note, I'm moving ahead with plans to setup the web infrastructure for Sugar Labs, DC. Our three biggest needs are wiki space, a mailing list, and a code repository. The last item should have feature and bug tracking facilities along with it. I asked Luke what he thought we should do, and he suggested the following:
This is very helpful information. It is a no brainer to follow the old adage, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." Since the Sugar Labs community already has a set of practices for doing what we need, we should simply follow them. It is great that Luke is active enough in the community to be able to send me this list. I'll get together with Jamie and Matt today and talk about moving this forward. I may have to setup the wiki myself, since neither Jamie nor Matt have a penchant towards writing. It is extremely important for them to learn to write about technical matters, however, so I'll struggle with them first before giving in and doing it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment